Sunday, June 16, 2013

Kenya || Part 2

The next two days in Kenya were very similar to the first, in that we were still breaking off into teams, building houses, meeting new people, and sampling new food. One of the girls on our team got to kill her first chicken for lunch one day. Not gonna lie- I am not envious at all. Not even a little. 

Every day we had at least an hour drive from where we were staying to where we were working, so I had lots of time to think and process, and digest everything I was seeing and feeling and experiencing. One of the biggest things that stuck out to me was the difference between my growing up years compared to that of the children I was meeting. I know, you're thinking, "No duh. Of course it's different!" And yes, there are many differences, but the one that stuck out to me the most has to do with dreams. 

Remember when you were 7 and people asked you all the time, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" If you were anything like me, you had a long and varied list- an actress, a singer, a waitress, a mom, a dancer... I thought I could be whatever I wanted. As I grew up, the question changed a little- "What are you doing after high school? What do you want to study?", and my answers changed too, but I've still always thought that I could pretty much do and be whatever I wanted if I was willing to work for it. Dreaming big has been encouraged in my life. That question alone seems to instill a sense of confidence. It's not multiple choice- you get to answer whatever you want! What do you want to be? In this country, if you work hard enough you can be just about whatever you want. That's an amazing gift we have being citizens of the United States- we have so many opportunities to make our dreams into realities. Seeing all those beautiful little children in Kenya, I wondered, "Does anyone ask them what they want to be when they grow up?"

There is so much corruption in the Kenyan government, and the people are so, so oppressed. There basically is no economy, and many survive on just $3 a day. I met people there who were forced to drop out of high school in order to help feed their family, and others who, although they were able to overcome many obstacles and managed to get a college degree, still aren't able to find work at all. There is no getting ahead. I journaled, "I feel like if you're stuck in a cycle of just surviving, there's no room for dreaming. Just thinking about a life like that makes me want to cry. It doesn't seem fair. Why have I had so many opportunities, while people here are telling me they're just stuck?" Obviously, this situation is not unique to Kenya, but after seeing it firsthand, and meeting people who have been affected by it, it has been on my heart a lot. Honestly, it's hard not to get completely overwhelmed when you see all the poverty, and the way that corruption has hurt so many people, but these verses from John 10, and Psalm 9 have been a comfort and encouragement to me. 

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

"The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble... For He who avenges blood remembers; He does not ignore the cry of the afflicted."

I don't understand everything I saw in Kenya. I have only a very basic understanding of economics, and how it affects life. I don't have a good grasp at all on how to combat poverty. I get angry at injustice, and the way it hurts people. I sometimes feel helpless when people talk about corruption as "just the way it is". I don't know why I've had so many opportunities, while others have not. But I know that God is good, and that knowledge allows me to view hard situations with hope. Do I know how He will bring change and justice? No. It seems to me, an insurmountable task. But I know He can do it. Please pray with me that justice would roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream! (Amos 5:24) 




More soon, friends! For now, a few more pics of beautiful children, lovely landscapes, and my fun team members...

~jazzy
























.

No comments:

Post a Comment